Saturday, April 28, 2012

International Children's Literature "Equiano"


            “Equiano” by Jean-Jacques Vayssieres, was originally Published in Jamaica.  It is a tale of the journey of an African slave.  Equiano was sold into slavery when he was about ten years old.  He was a hardworking, intelligent, honest and loyal slave.  He was given positions under his Masters of great leadership and power.  He eventually earned enough money to buy his freedom and pursue his dream of being a navigator on the seas.  He also pursued an education and became a writer. 
            I really enjoyed this story because of how well it relates to historical events.  I love reading books that could also be used to teach American History.  This source gives the reader a first hand account as to what it would be like to go through the slave trading system.  Some of the stories in the text did seem to be exaggerated a little, which I did not enjoy about the book.
            Since I read this book in the middle of a busy season of life, I don’t think I was able to appreciate it as much as I would have if I had more time to enjoy the text.  Since the book what longer than a typical picture book, I got anxious in reading it and wanted the storytelling to go quicker.
            This book reminded me of “Unlce Tom’s Cabin” because it gave a first hand account of the life of a slave.  Although this book was simpler and geared towards children, it brought about many of the same ideas of injustice of slavery.  “Equiano” gave more background information about what Equiano did after he was freed from slavery than what most books do that are based on the topic of slavery.
            As I was reading this book, I learned that international children’s literature can be used to help children and adults in the USA to learn the historical perspective of how others were impacted by the actions of citizens in North America.  Equiano’s story opened my eyes to the hardships of slavery as well as what life would have been like before slavery.  It broadened my perspective of slavery in North America.

No comments:

Post a Comment